When it comes to cinematic escapades for Super Mario and his friends, the bar was set about as low as it’s possible to go back in 1993 with the disastrous live-action film starring Bob Hoskins. 30 years later, Nintendo’s hottest property returns to cinemas in a lavish, big-budget animated adventure directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, with a screenplay by Matthew Fogel.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie stars Chris Pratt as Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach, Charlie Day as Luigi, Jack Black as Bowser, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, and Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong. Original video game Mario voicer, Charles Martinet also makes a welcome appearance as the voice of Mario’s (and of course Luigi’s) father.
The film is set in the Mushroom Kingdom, a magical land inhabited by talking mushrooms, turtles, and other creatures. Mario and Luigi are plumbers who live in Brooklyn, New York. One day, they are sucked into the Mushroom Kingdom by a portal and must team up with Princess Peach to stop Bowser from taking over the kingdom.
The film received mixed reviews from critics. Some praised the film’s humor and action, while others criticized its story and characters. The film was a box office success, grossing over $532 million worldwide.
So….is it any good?
- The film is visually stunning. The animation is top-notch, and the live-action and animated elements are seamlessly blended together.
- The cast is great. Chris Pratt is perfect as Mario, and Anya Taylor-Joy is charming as Princess Peach. Charlie Day is also great as Luigi, and Jack Black is hilarious as Bowser.
- The film is funny. The humor is clever and on-point, and there are plenty of laughs to be had.
- The action is exciting. The film is full of high-stakes action sequences that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- The story is predictable. The plot is pretty basic, and there are no real surprises.
- The characters are underdeveloped. The characters are one-dimensional and lack depth.
- The film is too long. The film runs for two hours and twenty minutes, which is too long for a film of this type.
Overall, the Super Mario Bros. Movie is a fun and entertaining film that is sure to please fans of the video game franchise. The film is visually stunning, the cast is great, and the humor is on-point. However, the story is predictable and the characters are underdeveloped. If you are a fan of the video game franchise, you will probably enjoy the film. However, if you are not a fan of the video game franchise, you may be disappointed.
The film is available to pre-order now!